Q: Car only start when cold but dies once warm and wont start till complete cold

Have a 1987 toyota celica 3sge 1st generation
The car will start fine once cold and drive till it reaches operating temperature, once it does it will just die and wont start until its cold again.. The gas tank is half with fuel, the spark plugs are brand new, the coil is brand new also, today i tried starting it cold and it only cranks.... I checked for sparks at the plus and there was none... Where do i start?

You may have more than one issue going on here for your 1987 Toyota Celica. The cold starting issue could possibly be caused by a failing fuel pump or even a temperature sensor. Heat increases resistance in electrical circuits, and it is possible that once the fuel pump has been running for a while, high resistance causes it to slow or stop. The same high resistance can affect ignition components.

Check your cap and rotor for carbon tracking or excess wear. Also, make sure all of your electrical connections are clean and secured. A non-spark issue could also be caused by the items I listed. Make sure you are getting power and ground at the coil. Use a timing light on the coil wire to see if it is trying to create a spark. The light should flash rapidly during starting. If you need further help with your vehicle, a certified technician from YourMechanic, can diagnose the starting issue and find the exact cause.

• Car only start when cold but dies once warm and wont start till complete cold