Q: Is there a smell which develops in a car when the catalytic converter starts to go bad?

About one week ago, a strong unpleasant odor developed in my car. It just started one day; nothing I can think of was the cause. I had my local tire shop put the car up on their rack to inspect the underside chassis for maybe a small animal nest. Found nothing inside or out. A gas station attendant I use on a regular basis thought the smell (rotten eggs) might be the start of trouble with the catalytic converter. Any truth to that claim?

Hi there. If there is a rotten egg or sulfur type of smell then most of the time this is caused by a failure in the catalytic converter. When these fail and become too hot they will smell like this. It needs to be tested with a temperature gun or with a back pressure tester. Both of these will help to identify this as the problem. A cylinder misfire will also cause this to occur. If you want to have this exhaust smell diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

• Is there a smell which develops in a car when the catalytic converter starts to go bad?