Q: I was driving and then all of a sudden, my oil pressure went down and a loud knocking started.

Oil pressure went low and knocking started

Hi, thanks for writing in. The only way to verify if the engine is damaged is to do at least a partial inspection of the internals. The oil pan and/or valve covers should be removed to inspect the camshaft sensors, crankshaft sensor, etc. If anything visible up high in the engine, under the valve covers, are burned or scorched from lack of oil or oil pressure, then the entire engine is most likely damaged.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• I was driving and then all of a sudden, my oil pressure went down and a loud knocking started.