Q: What are the locking retractors and what do they do?

What are the locking retractors and what do they do?

Your seat belts are equipped with locking retractors. The driver front seat belt has an emergency locking retractor, while the other seat belts use automatic locking retractors. While they’re somewhat the same, they work a little differently. Here’s how each one works:

Emergency Locking Retractor

The retractor on the driver side is designed to lock during sudden deceleration. It may lock when you lean forward or pull the belt too quickly. Move slowly and the belt will not lock.

Automatic Locking Retractor

Your passenger seat belts have automatic locking retractors. These are designed so that if they’re fully extended and then retracted a small amount, the retractor automatically locks. This is a vital aid for child seating, as it locks the shoulder belt in position. To unlock it, just let the belt back in and then pull out again.

3. What are the locking retractors and what do they do?