Q: My 2008 Chevy Malibu cranks but wont start. I recently replaced my water pump and bought a new battery.

asked by on February 09, 2018

Hello I recently got a 2008 Chevy Malibu. after purchasing it I started to experiencing over heating problems so I replaced the water pump. When I received my car back a week later it started to to overheat again , I continued to drive it putting coolant in when it began to run hot. Two weeks later it started shaking and white smoke started to come out of the exhaust pipe. Now my car will crank but not start. I need help , what could be the problem ???

The white smoke generally indicates you may have a leaking or damaged head gasket as a result of the overheating. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. Coolant in the engine oil, an engine misfire or oil leaking from the engine could all be symptoms. Each of these symptoms could also have other causes and an actual blown head gasket may show none of the above symptoms. Symptoms will often vary considerably, depending on how the gasket fails. Head gaskets may fail in several different ways. With each failure type different symptoms may result. The symptoms each person sees depend on how and where the head gasket fails. Head gaskets may fail in several different ways. For example, a restricted radiator may cause an engine to overheat, very much the same as a head gasket failure. Often times, intake gaskets will fail causing coolant to leak into the oil.