Q: Hissing noise.

asked by on December 08, 2016

my car is a bmw 320i 1988 actually.. whenever i accelerate(at low speeds).. i hear a hissing noise...note it is the same hissing noise when starting my car in the morning..i think it is a belt issue..i checked the belts, pulleys and bearings...all are fine..so i searched a bit and found out that a center bearing in the car's driveshaft may cause some hissing noise..thanks for your help

This may be a sign of a vacuum leak. High idle speed, stalling and hissing sounds are common signs of a vacuum leak. When a vacuum leak is present in an engine, this causes an excessive imbalance in the air/fuel ratio which creates a loss of power and causes the motor to run at a much higher RPM as a result of the increased oxygen present in the fuel charge being injected into the motor. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vacuum leak as these can be very difficult and time consuming to trace.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr