Q: My 1998 honda civic lx has started to over heat and the check engine light is on what can i do to fix it

asked by on May 02, 2017

My car started over heating so i pulled over let it cool off all the way then put coolant in it after that it started heating uo again then the check engine light came on then i left it alone for a whole day got back from work put coolant in it and it still over heated

Your car is overheating and you mention adding coolant a couple times, but it is unclear if a coolant leak is a "cause" or an "effect" of overheating in your case. That is, if you have a coolant leak, eventually the coolant level will get low enough that the car overheats. On the other hand, overheating that is NOT caused by a leak but rather another cooling system fault like a plugged radiator, can raise cooling system pressure enough that coolant is forced out the overflow tube and then when the car cools down it seems like you "had" a leak because some of the coolant is just gone. The best outcome will be if you have an EXTERNAL leak ONLY because once a "simple" leak like that is repaired you are good to go, although you might need a new thermostat because, unfortunately when a car engine overheats, that itself can damage the thermostat setting you up for future problems. The bottom line is, in your circumstance the best thing to do is request an engine overheating diagnostic. The responding certified mechanic will test for leaks and, if no leaks exist, the mechanic will find the cause of the overheating. If no leaks are found, common causes of overheating include a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.