Q: Battery light comes on when I crank the car but then goes out. Is this normal?

The battery light indicator comes on during the time the car is crank but goes away. What could this mean?

A: The battery light and the other warning lig...

The battery light and the other warning lights should come on when you turn the key to the on position before you start the car. This is a bulb check function and is normal. Some lights may remain on while you turn the starter. But when the engine starts, the lights will go out as soon as the alternator starts producing sufficient charging voltage. if the battery light is taking a few seconds to go out after the engine starts, this may indicate that your alternator is getting weak or that the alternator belt is loose and needs some attention. You should have the charging system tested to be sure. You can contact Your Mechanic, and they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your car and tell you if the charging system is up to par or if it needs attention.