Q: Do I really have an engine problem?

The engine light on my vehicle comes on and goes off by itself quite frequently. It is not the gas cap (sometimes if the gas cap is not on tight enough the engine light will appear). In this case it is not the gas cap. The light will stay on for approximately a day or 2 then it will go off on its own.

If the check engine light (CEL) has illuminated that does signify that there is an issue with the engine and/or a part of the "engine management system". You should get it checked out especially as it is possible that the issue is simple and accessible and thus quickly fixable. During a check engine light diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a Code Scanner to download any and all diagnostic trouble codes from the vehicle computer. Using those codes, the Mechanic would then troubleshoot the system or systems that caused the Codes to be set and of course caused the CEL to come on. Individual components are tested and evaluated until the root cause is found. You should get it checked out because if the CEL has come on, or is on, that means the vehicle is not running optimally which could result in higher fuel costs and many cause needless wear and early failure of other parts.

3. Do I really have an engine problem?