Q: My car backfires at 50 mph.

Car backfire from exhaust at 50 Mph. Smooths out and back fire quites at about 65.

Hi there. There is a timing problem with your engine. Check the vacuum advance to see if its advancing when the engine is at a higher rpm. Also check the spark plugs and wires for if they are burned but functional, they can cause a delay and make the ignition fire as the exhaust valve is about to open. If you need further assistance with your engine backfiring at highway speeds, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.