Q: Car is jerking for a while and then runs fine

I have a well-maintained car with around 150,000 miles on it. I have regular oil changes and fill the car with premium. Recently, the dashboard showed check engine light illuminated. The car has started skipping. Now the car is jerking like when the RPMs are very high. After waiting several minutes or while driving it, the car would start getting back to normal. I took it to a shop and was told it is a bad TCC solenoid. Is that serious? Would it damage the car if I drive with this issue? Thanks.

A: The TCC is the torque convertor clutch sole...

The TCC is the torque convertor clutch solenoid inside the transmission. To get it replaced you would need to have the pan removed and the TCC solenoid tested and replaced.

If all your drive issues start to happen after about 45 mph, then I suspect the solenoid is the issue. There is some tests that would and should be done to verify the failure. This is done with a factory style scanner that can activate the solenoid manually to check to see if it operates correctly or the transmission has another problem. You may have a defective torque convertor or sensor problem that only a diagnostic test can reveal and isolate the failure. If you want to have this taken care of, a technician can inspect your car’s jerking issue and let you know what needs to be done.