Q: Brake pads replaced but still feel soft

I’ve driven my mini van for years and I’ve never liked how the brakes make me feel. Last month I had the brake pad replaced (AP). After that, the brake felt softer… but then it became very hard to stop when having to suddenly stop. It doesn’t even feel like it’s stopping. I returned to the auto repair shop and was told there was nothing wrong. I no longer feel safe about driving my mini van. I can’t follow other cars too close. So I had another front pad replaced and it does seem a little better, but it’s still brakes soft. Do you think my mini van has a bad brake system?

It sounds like your 2006 Freestar does have a legitimate brake issue and the mechanics you are currently going to have not identified it. You need to have confidence that your brakes are "working as designed" and will stop your vehicle! You may want to speak with management and give them one more try at making it right. Diagnosing and repairing brakes should be a fairly easy job for a trained mechanic. Make sure that you are using top quality parts and are following correct procedures. If you do not feel comfortable going back to the same shop, have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your brake issue.

3. Brake pads replaced but still feel soft