Q: 2006 Chrysler Sebring. Going down the road at say 55 -60 the car will spontaneously Rev up to 3000 + rpms. I let off the gas and

asked by on July 17, 2016

2006 Chrysler Sebring. Going down the road at say 55 -60 the car will spontaneously Rev up to 3000 + rpms. I let off the gas and it goes back to normal, around 2000 rpms. What causes this?

Speed Sensor Replacement $92.92 - $1189.26 Get a Quote
Throttle Position Sensor Replacement $129.21 - $646.10 Get a Quote
Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This is the transmission shifting out of and back into overdrive. This is normal if you are pressing on the gas to pass someone or to speed up. If you are keeping your foot steady and this is happening, then you have a speed sensor, throttle sensor, or transmission causing the problem, and these would need to be diagnosed using a scanner and by road testing the vehicle to see what is the actual cause. If you want to have this looked at, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to test the vehicle and determine the cause of the car’s revving issue and aid in having this resolved.