Q: How Can I Clean a Dirty Light Socket on My Car

asked by on November 18, 2015

How can I clean a dirty light socket on my car?

Cleaning a light socket would depend on what type of dirt, corrosion, or rust the socket was contaminated with. These damages will vary depending on the sockets location on your vehicle. Sockets can be in sealed or semi sealed lens assemblies, either one will protect the socket from dirt but if the lens is cracked or the seals are dried out then dirt can enter.

Also, sockets will accumulate corrosion due to water intrusion or damaged or loose connections of the bulb to the socket contacts. This can occur especially on the rear of a vehicle that tows a boat or a vehicle that has cracked a lens after backing up into another object. This can also happen with the headlights or other marker bulbs such as license plate lights or side marker for your vehicle as they are more likely to be exposed to the elements daily. If you have a four wheel drive and go off roading or ford streams this also will put the sockets to the challenge.

So the way to clean a dirty light socket will vary based on the location and the type of dirt or corrosion. You should always isolate the circuit before attempting the repair. Sometimes this will require the removal of a fuse or the need to disconnect the battery. This prevents any possible short circuit damage while making the repair.

The socket can be cleaned with an electrical spray contact cleaner, compressed air and a small wire brush designed for socket cleaning. Once the bulb is removed you should check the integrity of the actual socket. If the socket is deformed due to heat or deteriorated or the contacts are burned or eroding then the assembly should be replaced. The proper repair for replacement is to cut the wires and solder the new wires in place using heat shrink tubing to provide a factory quality seal of the wires. Replacement sockets are available from the dealer or most aftermarket automotive suppliers. Note that in some applications a grease is applied to the socket and bulb. This dielectric grease is there to protect and insulate the connections. It can also be purchased and applied to the socket after cleaning.