Q: Oil Loss

I recently did an oil change on my 4.6L Ford f-150. I put 5.7L of 5w20 vavloine oil in. I drove for probably 30mins and there was no more oil in it. The oil filter is tight and the drain plug is tight, with no sign of oil on the out side of the engine. Im wondering where the oil could of went. My best guess is in the bell housing, but am weary of separating the engine and tranny.

A: If you lost all the oil in your engine afte...

If you lost all the oil in your engine after driving for 30 minutes, without any signs of an oil leak, then you need to put in oil until it is full to see how much oil was used.

If you put in more than a quart of oil then you should look at the bell housing for any evidence of oil leaking from it. If there is no leak from the rear main seal then check the exhaust for oil residue.

If the exhaust checks out then you need to have the crankcase ventilation system (PCV) checked for blockage. The PCV valve may cause oil to be ingested into the engine if the system is clogged. If the system is clear and free and working as it should then you have engine piston problems or valve seal problems sucking oil into the engine.

I’d suggest you get your car inspected by a certified mechanic who can perform these checks to accurately diagnose your oil loss. Good luck.