Q: My car is vibrating - 2005 Jeep Liberty

so my car is a bit noisy. How i would describe it is when i drive there is def a rough ride. The car is a bit noisy when even just sitting. And when going even 8 miles per hour in traffic there is vibration. My concern is i have a long commute. Its about an hour. a lot of highway. the car when shut off after driving makes hissing and dinging sounds. Do you think it is the transmission? Its a 2005 jeep liberty. 160,000 miles almost. Do you think changing the transmission fluids would help? Or sell the car and move on?

Hello. If your vehicle is making noises I would start by trying to identify where the noise and vibration are coming from. Noise and vibration, even at low speeds, can be caused by many things not all of them transmission related.

A few possible causes of noise and vibration are worn engine or transmission mounts, worn suspension components, or engine performance issues. If you believe the transmission may be the source of the issue, I would check the fluid to make sure that it is at the correct level and not excessively dirty or contaminated. The hissing and dinging sounds you describe are not uncommon among vehicles that have been driven over 100k miles and are not usually a symptom of something serious.

As vibrations and noises can be caused by many things, some of them serious in nature, I would recommend you have a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the vehicle to determine what is causing the vibrations.

3. My car is vibrating - 2005 Jeep Liberty