Q: What's the difference between welding catalytic converters in place and placing a sleeve with clamps on it?

I have to replace my catalytic converters. My neighbor said that he has the tools to cut the old ones off and we can attach the new ones with sleeves and a few clamps. I really would like to get them welded, instead. However, with money being an issue right now,I wanted to know if it made a difference whether I welded them or sleeved and clamped them in place? And is it possible that I could just place the sleeves and clamps on them right now to get back on the road, and when my money is right, just have them welded in place and the sleeves removed?

Hi there. It is okay to replace a catalytic converter with using clamps and sleeves. However, you will need to make sure that there is no exhaust leaks. An exhaust leak before any oxygen sensor will cause the engine light to come on as the computer thinks that the catalytic converter is not working properly. It is best to have one welded on but if you cannot have it welded on, you can clamp it on with no leaks. If you need further assistance with your catalytic converter replacement, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. What's the difference between welding catalytic converters in place and placing a sleeve with clamps on it?