Q: Can I damage my engine if I do not replace my catalytic converter right away?

Trying to understand how urgent it is to get replaced or can I wait until I have the money in January/February

Hi there:

In most cases a catalytic converter will last longer than three years; however; with over 130,000 miles on the vehicle, the damage may actually be the O2 bank one or two sensors as opposed to the catalytic converter. If the CC is damaged, it can impact vehicle performance; mainly cause reduced engine power and fuel efficiency; but in general won’t damage the engine significantly. If you’re car is due for emissions or registration however, it will most likely not pass.

3. Can I damage my engine if I do not replace my catalytic converter right away?