Q: Car shaking during acceleration and shifting between gears

I have problems with my car shaking and sputtering. It is not that noticeable when I drive and accelerate slowly. But it gets really pronounced if I step on the gas a bit harder to go fast. Then, the car starts jerking and shaking. It goes fine while I drive the highway speed range up to 85 mph. If I give it gas then, the car sputters and jumps, probably during shifting between gears. It would calm the shaking as I decelerate. Do you have any idea what is the problem? Thank you in advance.

This condition sounds like one BMW has noted on a technical service bulletin (TSB) concerning a software issue in the engine control module. There has been an updated software version developed by BMW but you will need to have this software installed using a manufacturer programming computer.

Now, before running out and condemning the software. Fault codes should be read out to ensure there are no other issues causing this condition. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the equipment to scan the fault memory and repair issues based on any codes or faults found. They can diagnose the car’s shaking issue to determine if it is related or not to the TSB.