Q: Under WOT my car hesitates and bogs once it reaches high RPMs.

asked by on September 30, 2017

My WRX bogs at WOT. I have changed the spark plugs but that didn't give me any luck. It feels as if it cuts fuel or just isn't getting enough of it. Sometimes when I start my car on a cold start I smell a slight hint of gas but then it goes away and I smell nothing. It idles perfect at 750RPM and does not over heat. I feel zero misfires, and have no misfire codes. The only codes I have are P0037 Rear 02 sensor Heater Control circuit Low input. & P1092 TGV System 2 (LH) Malfunction (Stuck open). I would really appreciate any info and thank you in advance!

Hi Juan. Thanks for submitting your question tonight. Issues at wide open throttle are typically caused by fuel restriction or fuel to air mixture problems, when the engine is getting too much fuel or not enough. This can be typically traced to mass air flow failure (or being clogged with debris) or dirty air filters. The fact you smell gas would also indicate a problem with the EGR valve as well. I’d start by making sure all of these systems are in tip-top shape first and go from there. To be honest, we don’t recommend driving a street vehicle at wide open throttle at any time.