Q: Instruments stopped working in a 07 BMW 328i

asked by on November 01, 2017

While driving speed,rpm,gas gauge, odometer, windshield wipers, ac won't blow cold, all buttons on steering wheel, and trunk buttons inside and on the trunk stopped working. Checked fuses. What could cause this/ How can I fix it?

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

On July 1, 2011, BMW issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB, designated Manufacturer Communication Number: SIB-61-01-11), relative to this problem in your year, make and model. The TSB refers to a short circuit which obviously has been frequent enough in the field, based on customer complaints, that BMW has alerted service departments. The existence of this TSB is not a guarantee that the short circuit is the issue but clearly it should be among the first steps in the diagnostic. If you were to request mobile service from YourMechanic what the certified mechanic would do is first apply the specific diagnostic in the TSB and if that does not reveal the cause a standard "electrical problems" diagnostic is performed and, in your case, that would simply involve using the factory wiring diagram to trace one of the circuits that has lost power as it is likely that all of the electrical problems you cite have a common fault (tracing one will likely reveal a "common" fault). Based on what you are describing I suggest you request an electrical components diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr