Q: I heard a ticking sound when I accelerate and my engine light blinks for few seconds the just stays on. What could be the cause of

asked by on December 08, 2016

This morning while driving a ticking noise began, and it would get a little louder as I press on the accelerator. My enegine light has been on, now it blicks for a few seconds then stop. What could be the cause of this? My oil light hasn't came on but I checked it was alittle low so I did add some. When the car is in park you can still hear the noise but the enegine light doesn't Blick at all. The car also shakes alittle.

Your vehicle may be experiencing engine misfires. Multiple misfires can cause the noise you are describing and if the misfires happen long enough, the check engine light will start to blink to warn of catalyst damage. Typical causes are the spark plugs, or vacuum leaks. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and take a closer look at why your engine may be misfiring and offer a more personal diagnosis.