Q: Is it dangerous to drive a car when you smell gas?

asked by on November 15, 2016

I have a Kia Sportage 2000, I would love to keep my car, but it has been having problems with gas leakage. I haven't moved it for almost a year. When I used it I was worried that my car will explode and I will die in a fire. When I refilled the oil it smelt like gas. How can I resolve this issue to make my car good again? What do I buy?

Hi there. When you opened the hood to add engine oil to the engine and you smelt fuel vapors, there could be an issue with the fuel injectors. Most likely the fuel injector o-rings have split or cracked. When a vehicle sits for a long time and is not started up at least once a week, then rubber items get hard and brittle. This is what probably happened with the fuel injector o-rings. Look on the top of the engine for raw gasoline. Start the engine and look for any visible leaks. If you do not see any leaks, then the injector o-rings are split and need replaced. Once you have replaced the fuel injector o-rings, let the fuel vapors go away and then start the engine up, let it run for a while and verify that there is no more fuel vapor smell. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with the gasoline vapor smell under the hood.