Q: Transmission is slipping in car

asked by on February 11, 2016

The Check Engine light in my car is coming on. In addition, the transmission is slipping as the car does not always move when placed in forward or reverse. Sometimes you have to get on the gas to get it to kick in. When driving, you can barely go over 40 MPH, but only when the RPMs get up to 5,000 to 6,000.

It sounds like internal transmission failure. I do not remember if your vehicle has a transmission dipstick. If so, check the level and quality. My guess would be that it is low and dirty. If it is low, there is a leak that needs to be repaired. If the level is normal, the problem could be internal transmission failure. I would have a technician from YourMechanic properly diagnose the slipping issue before condemning the transmission.