Q: For three days, car won't start and jump-started - 2014 Ford C-Max

For the previous two days, I have had to jump-start my car to be able to drive. Again this morning, the same thing happened. My car did not respond to the key buttons so I had to manually open it and try to start it. Nothing at all. I called the Ford Roadside Assistance again to have it towed to the dealership. The driver jump-started the car before he loaded it onto the truck. If I’m correct, he should not have jump-started it. I went with the driver to the dealership. They could not find anything wrong with the battery and so they reset the electronic modules. The mechanic told me that he could not find anything wrong otherwise. The car worked fine for three days, but now the same problem is persisting. Can you tell me the cause and also the permenent fix?

A: Hello. Although this may sound like a simpl...

Hello. Although this may sound like a simple answer, it is very possible that you could have a loose ground connection near your battery. This is often times overlooked by even the best mechanics because it is such a simple fix.

I would recommend going out to your vehicle, opening the hood, and checking the negative battery cable to make sure that it is good and tight. If the battery cable is loose, I would recommend tightening it up and trying again.

The ground connection may also be loose at the chassis end instead of the battery so be sure to check there as well. If all the connections are good, I would recommend having the battery and alternator tested for proper function. For piece of mind, I would recommend having this test done by a different mechanic.

If the battery and alternator test good, at least you know that the dealership isn’t just pulling your leg. If the battery or alternator do test bad, I would recommend having the problem part replaced to resolve the no start issues you are having with your vehicle. If you would like to have this checked elsewhere from the dealer, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the no-start and assist with proper repairs.