Q: Car not starting due to security code.

Almost every day, the message center in the dashboard flashes the word Security and my car won't start. I have to wait 10 minutes with the key in the On position until the Security code stops flashing. Then I have to turn the key to the Off position and wait 20 seconds before the car will start up.

Hi there. This comes up frequently on this vehicle. The two most common problems that I have found that cause this is either a failure in the passlock sensor in the ignition lock cylinder, or the body control module has a programming issue. I have come across some wiring connection issues also, but that is not as common. Before going too far into this I would try another key if you have one. Some of the time an old and worn out key can make it difficult for the passlock sensor to pick up the key and send the signal to the body control module. If the key does not help then a computer scan tool would be needs to diagnose it further. It would need the ability to access the body control module. If this is not something that you are comfortable with doing then you should enlist the help of a certified mechanic that has the tools and ability to do this, like one from YourMechanic.

3. Car not starting due to security code.