Q: Car lunges first gear

My Honda Passport EX has 163,050 miles on it, and the transmission had been replaced within the last year. When I’m stopped at a stop light and press on the gas the engine will rev up to about 3000 RPMs. Then if feels like the transmission engages and the car lunges forward. It only does this in first gear. My friend told me that maybe the kick down cable needs to be adjusted. But I have never heard of a kick down cable. The transmission is an automatic, and I’m pretty sure it’s a 4x4. It has 2 little buttons on the center console. One says winter and one says power. It also has a sunroof. Do you have any suggestions or solutions for me? Thank you.

It sounds like your 2002 Honda Passport may have a problem with your transmission still. The RPMs rising and the transmission then lunging into gear is referred to as slipping. This can be due to internal transmission damage or just a low fluid level.

I would first recommend having your transmission fluid level checked. If the fluid level is low, simply adding fluid should resolve the issue.

If the fluid level is within specification, I would recommend taking it to wherever replaced the transmission and ask them to take a look at it to determine if any issues exist with your current transmission. If any issues are found, your transmission may be under warranty and your could end up having the vehicle repaired free of charge.

If you would like to have a certified mechanic take a look at the car, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect your car’s slipping problem.