Q: On A 2008 Mini Cooper should the thermostat be changed with the water pump at the same time?

My 2008 mini cooper was hit in the rear at about 30 to 35 miles an hour it was not leaking before the accident now the coolant is leaking and the oil is leaking The water pump was changed 25,000 miles ago. Should the thermostat have been changed during that time and how could the leaks be the cause of the accident

Hello there. Sometimes a pretty serious impact as you’ve described above can create rubber hoses or hose fittings to crack or become separated; even if they are in different location than the vehicle impact. Typically it is customary for the mechanic to pinpoint the source of leaks before competing any repairs. It is possible that the coolant leak is coming from the radiator, thermostat housing or simply a coolant line. Before you have any other repairs completed, it is probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an oil / fluid leak inspection, so they can determine for certain what needs to be replaced further; to avoid future overheating issues.

3. On A 2008 Mini Cooper should the thermostat be changed with the water pump at the same time?