Q: Car won't start - rapid clicking sound - new battery

Hello, I have a 2002 Hyundai Elantra, 5 speed manual transmission. I let the car sit for about 6 years, and just decided to try to get it running again. I bought a new battery and that seemed to do the trick. It was a bit slow to start, but it started. We turned it off and on a few times, but eventually it wouldn't start back up. It makes a rapid clicking sound, but the battery is brand new, and everything comes on inside - door chime, lights, radio, power windows, etc. What could be causing this?

Thanks! - Carl

Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1142.70 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a faulty starter solenoid. If you hear a clicking sound when turning the key, it is likely that your starter solenoid may be faulty. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.