Q: Air conditioner

AC replaced 8 months ago- new compressor and the works. Immediately, when idling, it blew hot air- mechanic said that wS normal. Now blowing hot air all the time. Took it back, he claimed there was a refrigerant leak in the dash and it will be very expensive and labor intensive to fix. He said he added "5 ounces of gas" and further stated he put some "sealant" in it to seal any leaks. When I left the mechanic shop, the temp of air coming out of vents did not get lower than 80 degrees.

You need to take it to a different mechanic to have a diagnosis. You either leaked out the refrigerant or the system was overcharged. Have the pressures checked. The sealer will not seal a leak in an evaporator or a metal part. It may help rubber seals get more soft and seal up as long as they are not torn or damaged. If you’d like a fresh pair of eyes on this issue, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the issue with your A/C and help you fix it accordingly.

3. Air conditioner