Q: My audi smells like gasoline I read it could be a clogged fuel filter my mechanic wants to replace a plug on my fuel pump

Car has just recently been smelling of gas - very noticable when I garage it at night - not while driving or in the cabin No leaks under vehicle on garage floor or signs of gas leaking under hood

read Audi Forums that point to clogged fuel filter or leaking gasket/flange at turbocharger? now my mechanic says it is a plastic cap that cracks on fuel pump HELP???

A: What your mechanic says sounds more likely....

What your mechanic says sounds more likely. There is no gasoline flowing to the turbocharger, so a flange or gasket leak is unlikely to be the cause. A leaking turbo flange would give you an exhaust leak and any odor along with it would only be present when the car is running. A leak at the fuel pump to fuel tank flange sounds more realistic. If you would like a second opinion, a YourMechanic certified mechanic can come to your home or place of business and perform a smell in the car inspection in order to diagnose this issue for you.