Q: Minor rough idle on 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe

Hello. I have started to notice minor jerks or a rough idle whenever I am at stop. The engine light has also came on. Additionally, what is odd is that after a period of driving (getting off the highway), the rough jerks seems to stop. I notice its worse on whenever I first start my car (cold engine) but after a period of time, it seems to go away and its not as bad. Could this be a cause of faulty spark plugs?.. or should I check to see what code comes up when I get the engine light checked? Thanks.

Hi Dustin, A rough idle may be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, low voltage to the fuel injectors, dirty fuel injectors, a vacuum leak, a faulty Oxygen sensor or a dirty or failing idle air control valve. Any of these possibilities relate to fuel delivery issues that will disrupt the normally balanced air/fuel mixture that would otherwise allow the motor to run smoothly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your rough idle problem with the use of a scanner to see what trouble codes have been registered in the computer as a result of the check engine light coming on.

3. Minor rough idle on 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe