Q: Car will not move

asked by on March 27, 2017

I have a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta. When I turn the car on, it starts and sounds perfectly fine. When I put the car in Drive, or reverse or 3,2,1, it doesn't move. The engine revs as I push gas pedal and RPM goes up but car doesn't attempt to move. Then when I put it back in park, there is a loud clicking, grinding sound as if something is caught somewhere. Never happened before. I have no idea what the issue can be because it's my first car. Please help.

Hello, thank you for writing in. While these issues are frustrating, it is best to take this kind of diagnosis step by step. The most common cause of these symptoms is low transmission fluid. The automatic transmission relies on the fluid to be pressurized, and if the fluid and pressure are low, the transmission will not function. You can start by checking the level and adding some if low. However, this means there is a leak in the system, and you will need to find and resolve that leak. If the transmission fluid is full, then you have to check the linkage that connects the shifter to the transmission. This is located on the exterior of the transmission, and we can make sure the vehicle is actually going into drive, reverse, or the other drive gears. Due to the complexity of automatic transmissions beyond these two tests, you may want to seek professional help. For more help with diagnostics and resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.