My catalytic converter is gutted, with no engine lights o...

Q: My catalytic converter is gutted, with no engine lights on. Is this bad for performance?

asked by on September 27, 2017

I got my exhaust done about a year ago and the guy who did it, straight piped it and gutted my cats.. so it is really loud and doesn't sound bad.. but I am about to add performance headers and other parts such as turbocharging it and I don't want this to be an issue.. I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to cars and performance enhancement, but I would like to have that Subaru rally sound with my car? Should i buy a new catalytic converter for my car or are there other ways of doing it?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The catalytic converter is there to remove certain emissions like CO and NOx before your exhaust is pumped into the environment. While this is the practical and "environmentally responsible" thing to do, your vehicle does not need it to perform. It also has little effect on the sound, as your muffler does most of the sound control. The catalytic converter can be left off of the exhaust system as long as there are no oxygen sensors that will throw you check engine light. You would have known by now if that was a problem. Look into videos that give you some idea of the sound you will be getting out of your new equipment before choosing the right set up for you.