Q: While highway driving, car stopped accelerating & became inoperative

I was driving on the interstate and all the sudden my car stopped accelerating. It became totally inoperative. I got to the shoulder of the road and had to call for a tow truck. While I was waiting for him to arrive, I noticed that there was a smell like something was burning, coming from the car. I'm not sure from where on the car though. The messages on my car’s display were “inoperative” and “see operator’s manual.” Before I allow the service department to work on my car, can you give me your assessment of what the problem is and how to fix it?

This message indicates there is a problem in the anti-lock braking and/or electronic stability program system. If the problem is severe enough, the vehicle will go into limp mode, as you experienced. The root cause could be anything from a failed wheel speed sensor to a faulty control module. The first step in diagnosing this problem is to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes which are stored inside the module. These codes serve as a starting point for any further diagnostics. I suggest you get a trained professional to diagnose any trouble codes and repair your vehicle. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option because we make house calls and can save you a tow bill.

• While highway driving, car stopped accelerating & became inoperative