Q: Can i take ecm in to get tested

asked by on June 28, 2017

Hi I need help. I was changing my car stereo and did not unplug battery just because I've done it so many times I wasn't worried. Two wires touched, ground and battery The wires touching caused a 25fuse in the engine compartment to blow. I replaced the fuse finished connecting the stereo tried turning on the car and the first thing I notice is i didn't hear the fuel pump priming which I hear every time I start it. I went thru all fuses and relays all in working condition. The next thing I did is take the fuel pump out and cheked it and it works. The next day I went to do more investigation and turns out my battery got drained took it in for recharging and was told the battery was shot so I bought a new one took it back still the car would not start. My confusion is how everything in the car works electronics n all the only thing is the fuel pump not getting power. I took my ecm out took a look inside but did not notice any burnt spots. Can I take my ecm in anywere to get it tested?

Hi there. The ECM would need to be tested by a Mercury / Ford dealership; so I would call your local dealer first to see if they can scan the ECM itself or if they need to have it in the vehicle. Different dealerships have different policies. There are some local automotive specialist mechanics that can complete this as well, but it’s very rare and typically only import specialists.