Q: Vibration in the car - 2003 Dodge Neon

As soon as you turn on the car and it's in park, it starts vibrating. It's consistently vibrating as long as it's on, but it's the most noticeable when you first turn the car on and it's in park, or when you're idling at a stop light. We recently replaced the transmission and the motor mounts, and it seems to be vibrating more since we did that. What could the problem be?

Hello. When issues get worse after a repair, always double check the work that was done. If you check that off right away, then you should look at why the engine is shaking so bad. This is typically due to uneven combustion in the engine.

The first suspect should be the injectors. Try injector cleaner additive to the gas tank. If this helps, you may want to think about doing a more serious cleaning of the injectors. Another component which becomes "gunked-up" is the throttle. Also give this the throttle body a good cleaning if it looks dirty.

There are several ways to do so and you should pick a method for your specific vehicle. Vibrations from the engine may or may not be very serious. If cleaning certain components doesn’t help, you should perform a compression test to see if the cylinders are firing correctly. If you need help having this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose and repair the shaking problem.

3. Vibration in the car - 2003 Dodge Neon