Q: Car smoking and shaking

asked by on February 18, 2016

My car is smoking out the back and shaking.

Smoke from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Depending on what kind of smoke will determine what the shaking could be. There are 3 basic types of smoke. Black smoke is raw fuel. Raw or unburnt fuel can foul spark plugs causing a misfire. A misfire will seem like the engine is shaking. Blue/gray smoke is oil being burnt. Oil that is leaking into the combustion chamber can also foul the spark plugs over time. This is common in high mileage vehicles. The last type is white smoke, this is actually not smoke but vapor from coolant being burnt. If coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber you have may have internal engine damage. Have a qualified mechanic help you diagnose the smoke coming from your vehicle so the necessary repairs can be made.