Q: Hi Mr. Nicholas: Engine light of my Accord Lx 2010 comes on. I want to be sure the problem is with the catalytic converter or O2 s

asked by on April 03, 2017

Engine light comes on. Honda dealership says its bad catalytic converter, I checked the owner's manual. My questions are: Can't it be just a O2 sensor? Can it be just one mufler. How many catalytic converters are there? How many catalytic converters are there?

I don't want to spend too much money, What should I do I need a reasonable quote.

Hi there. In short, yes - it is highly probable that the check engine light is not 100% caused by the catalytic converter. Most OBD-II trouble codes related to this system are actually caused by O2 sensor failure, electrical harness failure to O2 and the catalytic converter or other emissions systems. On your Honda, there is one catalytic converter, that is comprised of a few individual sections. When it it replaced however, it is replaced as a single unit. In most cases, when a Honda dealership tells you that the catalytic converter is the source, 80% of the time they are correct. I would recommend reading this article and asking yourself if you are experiencing more than 50% of these are occurring.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr