Q: My 2001 VW Passat battery keeps draining. I did a parasitic test on it today and removed the neg cable and touched the cable and t

My 2001 be Passat battery keeps draining. I did a parasitic test on it today and removed the neg cable and touched the cable and the neg battery side. It was showing 11.85 amp draw. I did the fuse test and removed each fuse on the drivers side, left of the dashboard. Nothing dropped. I did someresearch and it seemed it might be a bad diode in the alternator so I remove the alternator and then did the test again and the draw was the exact same with the alternator removed completely. Do you have any idea what could case that type of drain that would not show in any of those tests? If it's a short in the 13 panel relay section, will it be possible for me to figure out where the problem is coming from? I have basically 0 experience working with cars.

Hello. There are a lot of reasons as to why this can occur. If the vehicle has anything aftermarket on it I would check that out first. If the vehicle is all stock then most of the time this is caused by an ignition switch or one of the modules is not shutting down. These systems will need to be diagnosed by an electrical specialist.

3. My 2001 VW Passat battery keeps draining. I did a parasitic test on it today and removed the neg cable and touched the cable and t