Q: My car will start but will only run for a certain amount of time before the engine shuts off. Then it won't start. Why?

The car will start then shut off. When I try to start agin the engine wants to turn over but doesn't like it's out of gas. I can let it sit for hours but when I get it back on it does the same thing.

Hi there. In many cases, when the car will start but quickly stall, it’s due to either a reduction in fuel flow (caused by a worn out fuel pump, dirty fuel filter or clogged or dirty fuel injectors or the throttle body) or a fuel / air mixture problem. Since there are multiple components that could be faulty and causing the Hyundai to have difficulty running, you should have a professional mechanic complete a car starts then stalls inspection.

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 2004 Hyundai XG350 to start then die. Likely faults that cause this issue are the MAF sensor, fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, throttle body issues, crankshaft position sensor or a wiring harness fault. With intermittent faults such as this the vehicle will need fully diagnosed to determine the root cause of the problem. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your vehicle starts then dies and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.

• My car will start but will only run for a certain amount of time before the engine shuts off. Then it won't start. Why?