Q: 2011 Ford Fusion won't shift gears.

asked by on March 11, 2017

2011 Fusion,125,000 mi. Backed out of driveway, put in 'D', would not go; Tried "R', would not go, Put in "P", rev'd to 4rpm, put in 'R', car jerked; finally got it out of middle of street and parked. 2 days later, tried again, car drove like nothing was wrong, then on way back home, something made a big "THUMP!' sound and car went completely dead. Had it pulled home. 2 days, car cranks up but doing same thing. Getting ready to take to transmission shop. What do you think is happening?

The first thing to check would be the transmission fluid level. If the fluid level is low from a leak, this may cause the transmission to slip and when revved to higher rpm it may jerk when the line pressure increases or it will continue to slip. The pressure control solenoid can also be faulty which may be why it drove fine one day and would act up another. If you would like a second opinion after visiting the repair facility, consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a close look to offer a more personal diagnosis of your transmission concerns.