Q: What caused my wheel speed sensor failure?

asked by on November 17, 2016

Car went into limp mode, abs light is on, engine management and traction control light. Code read as right front wheel speed sensor circuit performance malfunction. Resistance between pin 2 (abs sensor) and pin 26 (abs control unit) showing open circuit. What could possibly cause this? Is it a broken wire or malfunctioning because of a sensor error? Many thanks in advance!

Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement $108.10 - $630.75 Get a Quote

A wheel speed sensor is the most common failure in the ABS system. The reason your engine management and traction control light are also on is because those systems "borrow" wheel speed information from the ABS system. The reason the fail so often is because they live in a hostile environment. They hang out there inside the wheel well and have to make every movement that the wheel does, up and down and left and right. They get wet in the rain and frozen in the snow and they are exposed to all of the road dirt as well. So it’s easy to understand why the wheel speed sensor doesn’t last the lifetime of the car. If you need assistance, YourMechanic can send a technician to your home or office to replace your wheel speed sensor and get you back on the road with a minimum of trouble.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr