Q: My steering has locked up what should I do?

As I was driving earlier today I went to make a turn when suddenly my steering wheel locked up real tight.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Without knowing the make and model of your vehicle it is impossible to know what type of power steering system you have. If you have a traditional pump driven system, the first thing to do is check for any power steering fluid leaks. While checking for leaks, look at the power steering fluid pump. Make sure the belt and pulley that drive the pump are working correctly. If everything appears okay, you will want to check the steering linkage below the vehicle and make sure nothing is obviously damaged. This goes for the tires too, as tire or wheel issues will cause a strain with steering. Consider any noises you heard when it happened or anything you notice now. Any constant noises, whining, or grinding is likely the steering pump or the steering gears. Further testing needs to be done at this point. If you have an electrical power steering system, you need to take the vehicle to get it scanned.