Q: Car keeps stalling while driving. Scan said no flow during purge, code P0440

At first my car started to chug a little when taking off or while driving but stepping on the gas made it stop. Then while driving it started losing horsepower and when I stepped on the gas it stalled. It started back up a few minutes later and I kept going but it did it again no more than ten miles later. It has done it several times now so I had a diagnostic test done. The code was p0440 emission control no flow during purge. Is it the purge valve solenoid? Would a bad purge valve solenoid cause the engine to die?

A: Hey there. A faulted purge solenoid may cau...

Hey there. A faulted purge solenoid may cause some problems, but is not likely the cause for the vehicle stalling. The camshaft or crankshaft position sensor is a common failure item on these vehicles and does not always show a fault code when it fails. The purge valve must be looked into as well, but your stalling problem may be a sensor or out of tune ignition system if it has been a very long time since it was serviced. Check your service history for these repairs and consider hiring an experienced technician, like one from YourMechanic, to come out and offer a personal diagnosis for your vehicle’s stalling problem.