Q: Wheels screeching after car wash

asked by on May 19, 2016

I recently took my car to a do-it-yourself car wash. When I left, I noticed a screeching noise. It sounds like it's coming from the wheel. In the wash, there were four modes: First, degreaser that you spray on your rims and clean with a brush. Second was the foamy soap spray that you spray all over your car. The third was a brush that you clean your car with as foam comes out. Last was the rinse. My brake pads and rotors are brand new. I think the degreaser for the rims might have taken the lube/grease off the wheeling bearing or the ball joint. Do I need to buy some lubricating spray and spray all the wheel components? The screeching noise only happens at low speed, under 10 mph. Once I speed up, it goes away. It only happens when I first start driving. What do you think might be the issue?

Squealing noise from brakes Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There is no kind of lubricant that will solve your problem. It sounds like your rotors got wet. Sometimes, the brakes will make a grinding noise for a short time after this happens. Also, if they are allowed to sit and accumulate rust, the brakes may make a grinding noise until the rust is worn off.

It’s also possible that a rock or small object got lodged in between the brake pad and rotor when you were using the pressure washer - but unlikely.

If the noise does not go away, I suggest you have a trained professional diagnose the screeching firsthand and recommend the best path to repair. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.