Q: Wheels screeching after car wash

I recently took my car to a do-it-yourself car wash. When I left, I noticed a screeching noise. It sounds like it's coming from the wheel. In the wash, there were four modes: First, degreaser that you spray on your rims and clean with a brush. Second was the foamy soap spray that you spray all over your car. The third was a brush that you clean your car with as foam comes out. Last was the rinse. My brake pads and rotors are brand new. I think the degreaser for the rims might have taken the lube/grease off the wheeling bearing or the ball joint. Do I need to buy some lubricating spray and spray all the wheel components? The screeching noise only happens at low speed, under 10 mph. Once I speed up, it goes away. It only happens when I first start driving. What do you think might be the issue?

A: There is no kind of lubricant that will sol...

There is no kind of lubricant that will solve your problem. It sounds like your rotors got wet. Sometimes, the brakes will make a grinding noise for a short time after this happens. Also, if they are allowed to sit and accumulate rust, the brakes may make a grinding noise until the rust is worn off.

It’s also possible that a rock or small object got lodged in between the brake pad and rotor when you were using the pressure washer - but unlikely.

If the noise does not go away, I suggest you have a trained professional diagnose the screeching firsthand and recommend the best path to repair. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.