Q: My negative battery cable start smoking when the car is running.

My negative battery cable is smoking and is hot on the battery terminal when the car is running.I just put a new battery in last week but noticed a burning smell from the engine today. There is no engine light on battery light not on the car is running but the negative battery cable is smoking and hot.please help

There is a faulty, high resistance (often due to corrosion, wire defect or break or loose mechanical connection) connection at the battery post and/or at the vehicle ground(s) at the frame. The recommended and safest practice is to replace the cable (cables can corrode within and cable crimps at the cable ends can’t be serviced without shortening the cable). When replacing, particular attention should be paid to the cleanliness and quality of the vehicle ground connection. This is a safety issue and consequently the repair is recommended at your earliest convenience. If you desire mobile service on this repair, the service to request is battery cable replacement and the responding certified mechanic will deal with it promptly.

3. My negative battery cable start smoking when the car is running.