Q: When brake is pressed, the car shakes

asked by on June 24, 2016

When I am stopped at a red light and the brake is pressed, the car starts shaking badly. You can feel the vibrations throughout the whole car. I’ve checked and the rotors are not warped. Recently my brakes were replaced. This past week when I would start my car or press on the accelerator, a blue smoke would come out of the tail pipe. There is an exhaust leak and at times (but not always) the gas fumes are very strong. A friend who works at a muffler repair shop told me that he has seen many cars like mine that have this same exhaust problem. What advice can you give me to get my car into good shape?

Hello! If your engine is emitting blue smoke from the exhaust the problem will probably be some form of internal engine damage or wear. More than likely it will be worn valve guides or piston rings.

Both of which will cause oil to leak into the combustion chamber and produce blue smoke from the exhaust. To determine if these may be the problem I suggest having a technician perform a compression test and a leak down test on the engine.

A certified mechanic can assist you with performing these tests in order to pinpoint the shaking that you’re experiencing. Please keep in mind that YourMechanic can provide such technicians and perform the diagnostic at your home or office per customer request.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr