Q: Dealer found error codes C1231 and C1201. Does my car have a faulty steering angle sensor and need a new charcoal canister?

We had the engine light come on and traction light come on. I think I included most of problem in header. Codes c1201 and c1231 were diagnosed. Repairs for new charcoal canister and sensor will run around $1,200 or so in Northern New Jersey. I'm skeptical. Car is running seemingly well. What else could be the problem? Can we try less expensive fixes before investing this kind of money? We have to drive the car 8-10 hours on a road trip this weekend...

Thanks Rachel

A: Hello. Go back and speak with your Toyota d...

Hello. Go back and speak with your Toyota dealer. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (358305) that addresses the two problem codes and scenario you describe. The dealer will update the software for the ABS system to correct this problem. The "charcoal cannister" recommendation has no relation to the ABS issue, and may be a red herring.