Q: Paint bubbles and rust on new car

asked by on October 30, 2015

My 2010 Chevrolet Equinox is already getting bubbles in the paint and random rust spots around trim pieces. This is ridiculous, the car is not even 6 years old and has 67,000 miles on it! Ridiculous! What can I use to stop the rust before it gets out of hand?

I have seen this issue on several Equinox’s, most commonly on the back tailgate, around the edge of the door panels and under the front doors. Unfortunately, GM has issued no recalls or Technical Service Bulletins(TSB) to address this issue as it does not affect the drivability of the vehicle. The main cause of this is likely a problem with the undercoating or clear coating underneath the paint, allowing moisture to get in and cause the rust or bubbling that will eventually flake off resulting in unsightly patches of rust in the effective areas. Poorly fitted and loose moldings can also rub the paint away and cause peeling from under the moldings. This is almost always a problem with the factory paint job and many people have had great success in getting the dealership to address this issue by either repainting the vehicle or fixing the trouble areas. If you neglect the issue though, it will only get worse, and will start spreading to other areas as well. I’d take the vehicle to the dealership to have it inspected and find out if they will cover the cost of the repair, make sure you document the damage with photos as well. A local service such as Your Mechanic will be able to diagnose this problem, but the repair will have to be made at a professional collision shop.